Attorneys Robert, David and James Cody

Protecting The Rights Of The Injured Let the Codys Fight for You

Can you recover lost income after a car crash?

On Behalf of | Dec 30, 2022 | Car Crashes |

Car crashes can result in serious injuries that leave victims unable to work. If you were in an accident that made it difficult for you to perform your job, you could face a loss of income that impairs your ability to pay your bills and support your family.

Fortunately, you can pursue reimbursement for lost wages through your insurer. You can also take legal actions to help you cover expenses and lost income.

Insurance claims

Minnesota has no-fault insurance regulations for motorists. This means your insurer should cover part of any income you failed to earn due to your injuries. If you were not at fault in the accident, you might be able to receive payments from the other driver’s insurer to compensate for the rest of your losses.

Before you file a claim to recover lost wages, you should visit your medical provider and obtain documentation to confirm that your injuries prevented you from working. You also must prove that your injuries occurred because of your car accident. Finally, you should collect pay stubs and request documents from your employer that demonstrate your income level before the crash.

Injury lawsuits

If the other driver caused a serious accident, you might be able to file a lawsuit to receive damages that can help pay medical expenses and compensate for lost income. In Minnesota, you can pursue a personal injury case against another driver if you experienced at least 60 days of injury or disability because of the accident. You can also consider legal action if your medical expenses cost more than $4000.

From insurance claims to lawsuits, you have options to help you recover lost wages after your car crash.